office procedures for general anesthesia are outlined below. It
is very important that you
carefully follow these instructions. Please see the Patient
Formssection for additional
- You can have nothing to eat or drink for at least 8 hours prior to your surgery.
Failure to do so
could be life threatening and your appointment will be rescheduled.
- You must make arrangements for transportation home. Your ride should wait in
our office while
you are in surgery. They will usually be in the office 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- After receiving general anesthetic or IV sedation, you cannot drive or attempt
task for 24 hours. Avoid any strenuous physical exertion or exercise for 2-3
days after surgery.
- We suggest that a trusted friend or relative stay at home with you after the
surgery for at least 6
- Please wear loose comfortable clothing, a short sleeve shirt, no contact lens
and no colored
fingernail polish. We encourage you to brush your teeth prior to surgery taking
care that any
excess water is spit out and not swallowed.
- A surgery consent form must be signed for all procedures. If you are under
18 years of age
please bring a parent or legal guardian to sign the consent form.
- We will normally schedule a follow-up visit for you to return in one week.
There is no charge for
this visit and we urge you to keep this appointment to check your healing.
- Dr. Christiansen (or the on-call oral surgeon) is available if any emergency
arises after hours or
on weekends. You are encouraged to call if any problems or questions should arise.
H. Christiansen, D.D.S.
West Mesa Professional Center 4801 McMahon Blvd., NW Suite
230 Albuquerque, New Mexico 87114
505-792-4788 (office) 505-792-2533 (fax)